We are committed to protecting the privacy of our patients' personal information and to utilizing all personal information in a responsible and professional manner. This document summarizes some of the personal information that we collect, use, and disclose. In addition to the circumstances described in this form, we also collect, use, and disclose personal information when permitted or required by law.
We collect information from our patients such as names, home addresses, workaddresses, home telephone
numbers, work telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, and patient photographs (collectively referred to as "Contact Information"). Contact information is collected and used for the following purposes:
- To open and update files.
- To invoice patients for dental services, to process credit card payments, or to coiled unpaid accounts.
- To process claims for payment or reimbursement from third party health benefit providers and insurance companies via electronic submission (CDA Net) or by mail.
- To send reminders to patients concerning the need for further dental examination or treatment.
- To send patients informational material about our dental practice.
Contact information is disclosed to third party health benefit providers and insurance companies where the patient has submitted a claim for reimbursement or payment of all or part of the cost of dental treatment or has asked us to submit a claim on the patient's behalf.
Financial information may be collected in order to make arrangements for the payment of dental services.
We collect information from our patients about their health history, their family health history, physical condition, and dental treatments. (Collectively referred to as "Medical Information") Patients' Medical Information is collected and used for the purpose of diagnosing dental conditions and providing dental treatment.
Patients' Medical Information is disclosed:
- To third party health benefit providers and insurance companies where the patient has submitted a claim for reimbursement or payment of all or part of dental treatment or has asked us to submit a claim on the patients' behalf.
- To other dentists and dental specialists, where we are seeking a second opinion and the patient has consented to us obtaining the second opinion.
- To other dentists or dental specialists if the patient with their consent has been referred by us to the other dentist or dental specialist for treatment.
- To other dentists and dental specialists where those dentists have asked us, with the consent of the patient, to provide a second opinion.
- To other health care professionals such as physicians if the patient, with their consent, has been referred by us to other health care professional for either a second opinion or treatment.
If we are ever considering selling all or part of our dental practice qualified potential purchasers may be granted access, as part of the due diligence process, to patient information in order to verify information important to the potential sale. If this occurs, we will take steps to ensure that the prospective purchaser safeguards all of the information.
Dentists are regulated by the British Columbia Dental Association and College whom may inspect our records and interview our staff as part of the regulatory activities in the public interest.
I consent to the collection, use and disclosure of my personal information as set out above.